Wednesday, October 16, 2013

W.O.W Wednesday- Trick for a fabulous looking bed!

First of all, my apologies for getting this post up later than usual.  I have been dealing with internet issues and a throbbing headache all day long.  Consequently, I have spent a portion of my day lying on my bed which is a great segue into today's post topic.

Tip{s} for a fabulous looking bed!

Adults average between 7-8 hours of sleep a night {in an ideal world anyway}, which means that 25% of ones adult life is spent in bed.  And if you add up all the hours from birth through adulthood that the average human spends sleeping it would be well into the thousands.
Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that beds are important.  We spend a lot of time in our beds sleeping, on our beds reading etc.  So we should care enough to make that space welcoming, comfortable and peaceful.

And from an interior design standpoint the bed is the focal point of any bedroom, so it's important that it be deserving of the attention.

Wanna know what the secret trick for a fabulous looking bed is?

One word folks...

LAYERS!

I could just leave it at that, but I'm not know for being short-winded, so I'll keep going.


Tip 1:  Create the perfect canvas for your layers with an eye catching headboard.

This doesn't mean you have to run out and buy a knew bed or anything.  Anymore you can get away with putting whatever you want above your bed and can call it a headboard...old doors, shutters, palettes etc.

I thought this headboard made from books was quite innovative.

Either way, it is important to give the head of your bed some height and interest.  How you go about doing it is completely up to your own pocketbook and personal style.


Tip 2:  Invest in a good set of sheets.

If there is one thing to splurge on for the bed, it's good sheets {and probably a good mattress, but that's a given.}  There is nothing worse than trying to fall asleep on rough, itchy sheets.  Growing up, my grandmother used to make us sheets out of tricot.  They were the softest sheets and felt so good.  The only drawback was that they were super slick and your pillow would wind up on the floor a half dozen times during the night.  Even though I spent have the night hunting down my awol pillow, the sheets were soft...and that's all that matters.

I prefer classic white sheets, because they can be paired with any color and any pattern and  they keep things looking fresh and bright.

I've been ogling these frayed edge sheets from West Elm.
 {source}

But I also like these patterned sheets.  They would definitely add a fresh, modern vibe to any bed.
 {source}



Tip 3:  Add a quilt, coverlet, or comforter.

This step is based heavily on personal preference and also personal need.  I prefer the look of a plush down comforter...
There is just something about down comforters that make me want to run and jump spread eagle onto them.  Also, Studs likes to have multiple fans going while he sleeps which means that even in the warmest, summer months I freeze my keister off.  So, a plush comforter is kinda necessary in these parts.  

Another great mini tip is...duvet's.  They are a great for quickly changing the look of a quilt or comforter and are relatively inexpensive.
I love this gray, braided duvet.  I looks almost like a quilt.

Tip 4:  Add a second blanket.
Don't neglect the foot of the bed.  The head of the bed shouldn't get all the attention.  By adding a light throw or coverlet or a heavier quilt or blanket to the foot of the bed, you add visual balance and interest. 
 {source}

 And if you live at my house, an extra layer of bedding nearby is not just for "looking pretty" it's also practical...as it helps ward of hypothermia resulting from the aforementioned fans.

I've got my sights set on this geometric coverlet from Urban Outifitters.  It would look so great folded up at the foot of my bed.

And lastly...

Tip 5:  Accent Pillows.

The purpose of accent pillows is, obviously, to accent to bed by adding color, texture and interest.  In my world, accent pillows are the most important feature.  They are responsible for pulling everything together.  There is no "set" number of how many throw pillows should be on a bed, but I tend to observe the "less is more" rule...I feel like 3-5 pillows is ample.  But, to each his own.

Take the photo below for example.  While the bed and room are beyond beautiful, I counted fourteen pillows on it.  I don't know about you, but after a long day of chasing kids around and carting them all over the state, the last thing I want to do at bedtime is spend a half hour taking pillows off my bed so I can lay down.

And...If you aren't ready to stop your layering there, you might also consider adding a bed skirt .  I hear they are great for hiding under-the-bed clutter and those ever present dust bunnies...or real bunnies if you live at our house.  

Adding a large area rug under the bed is another layer...of layering.?. that adds texture and warmth and also helps to ground the space.

Above all, just remember that the space you create should reflect your personality, suit your specific needs and be a place where you can feel comfortable and relaxed...so you might also consider posting a big, huge sign that reads NO KIDS ALLOWED.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people leave comments, but please keep your spam to yourself. Spam scares me.