Sunday, October 17, 2010

Better Late Than Never....Anthro Knock Off Lamp Tutorial

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have been slightly obssesed with lamps as of late.
So, when I came across this lamp at Anthropologie, I knew I had to try and recreate it.


I made a teacup clock a while back and ever since then have had a little preoccupation with teacups and saucers. I can't go to the thrift store without browsing the dish section and as a result have acquired quite an assortment. I was excited to come across this lamp so that I could put my growing collection to use.

Here's what you'll need to make your own lamp.

One bowl

I just found a cereal bowl from the thrift store that had a fairly wide base.

One teapot

I found mine at Ross for $4.99.

An assortment of saucers(three) and teacups(two)

I found all of my cups and saucers at the thrift store for $.50 to $.75 a piece (except for one that I found at TJ Maxx for $1. As a sidenote, when I was making my teacup CLOCK, I found that you could purchase cup and saucer sets at TJ Maxx for around $2.99). Make sure to grab duplicates of any to have as backups.

1 lamp kit

I used this kit from The Home Depot. It cost $9.97.

Gorilla Glue Epoxy

You can buy this at any home improvement store or at Walmart for around $4. I price checked and found it the cheapest at Walmart.

A Drill and Diamond Bit(bit specifically designed for use on porcelain, ceramic, glass etc.

Again, you can buy these at any home improvement store. The price varies depending on brand and added accessories. The bit I have pictured above is not the one I used, but rather one that I might try using for the next project. I was not happy with the bit I used, so I won't even bother telling you it's name. The above bit costs around $10...which is how much I spent on my crappy bit.

One wide mouth canning lid

The canning lid is what you will use to mount the socket on to.

Okay, now onto the good stuff.

Dry fit all of your dishes to make sure you like the way everything sits on top of each other. Some dishes seem to sit more securely on others.


Be sure to alternate between dishes and cups. Here's the order I followed:

bowl, saucer, teacup, saucer, teapot, saucer, teacup

Once you've settled on an order you need to drill a hole through the center of each piece. (Here's where patience and a gentle touch come into play). It took me several minutes to drill one hole. I blame that primarily on the bits I was using, but nevertheless, you do not want to rush this process or you will end up with a pile of broken dishes. Apply steady pressure but be gentle. Let the drill do the work.


The bowl will need a second hole drilled on the side as it will need to accomodate the cord and plug. I do not have any pictures to share as I shattered my bowl when attempting this feat. Instead, I purchased a new bowl from Ross for $2.99. It had a ruffled edge which left gaps around the bottom where the bowl sat. I was able to easily pull the cord through one of these gaps without having to drill a second hole. If you happen across a similar bowl, I would highly recommend purchasing it. Not only does it make for an super cute base, it saves you having to drill another hole.


After all of the holes have been drilled it's time to start gluing. Epoxy tries pretty quickly, so I opted to mix a little at a time...as I needed it. I found it easier to thread the lamp cord through the holes as I glued. That way you avoid the cord getting stuck or lost somewhere along the way.





This is how your lamp base should look once you've glued it all together. You're lamp cord should now be poking through the teacup at the top. (My pic doesn't show it, but you understand right?)


The last task is to attach the socket to the cord. Rather than try to explain this, I will simply refer you to the directions that came with the kit. Please note, that your kit came with three different sized rubber stoppers. They are used for mounting the socket to the lamp base. Instead of using them, you will need something larger that can sit on top of your teacup without falling in (I found that a wide mouth canning lid fit perfectly. If your teacup opening is too big or too small you can substitute it with something else...a smaller canning lid, a piece of wood cut slightly larger than the opening). You will need to drill a hole through the center of it just large enough for the bolt from the kit to pass through . Once you've assembled your socket and fastened it to the canning lid you can glue it to the top of your teacup. It should look like this when you're done.


I know it sounds complicated. I assure you it really isn't. The kit comes with very detailed instructions and pictures. But, don't be ashamed if you have to enlist the help of a stud muffin. I did.

Once the epoxy has time to cure, screw on bulb, add a fun shade and test the sucker out.
VICTORY!!!


Isn't she just gorge. I love, love, love her...even though I almost threw her across the room halfway through the process.

When it was all said and done, I ended up spending $10 for the lamp kit, $10 for the drill bit, $4 on epoxy, $12 on dishes (that includes my replacement bowl) and $14 on the lamp shade (which I found a Wally's...aka. Walmart). That's a grand total of $50 (...compared to Anthropologie's $198. Boo-ya. And, I actually like mine better!

Linking to
The DIY club's Monthly Project Party:
DIY Club



Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap    up           party!


Furniture Feature Fridays

36 comments:

  1. WOW, this will go in my saved projects to do when I come back to the states. I adore this lamp. So unquie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THank you so much for doing a tutorial on this, I love this lamp so much, now if I can just get the courage to try it:) Will you be doing a tutorial on the clock soon I hope?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kelly. I have one saved in my drafts. I suppose I should post it. And...if I can make this anyone can. I'm the least patient person and this project definately tests one's patience. I'd love to see your finished project, so keep me posted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing! I saw this at Anthropologie and fell in love. Thanks so much for making a tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've decided...it's official...I want to be you when I grow up, hahaha. This is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome lamp! I am totally making these for my bedroom! I am your newest follower...visiting from Someday Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your teacup lamp is amazing. Beautiful! I am highlighting this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Greab my "featured" button. (I love the name of your blog.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. BRILLIANT! I love it! ~Sam

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is FABULOUS!!!! I was admiring that lamp at anthro a while back, you did such a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness....I love this! Going to go look for teacups tomorrow! Thanks a bunch!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dying. Should have read the part about threading the cord through as you glued. I can't get it through! That gorilla glue has clogged some holes making it really tough. I WILL GET THE CORD THROUGH! It will be fab when it's done. I used a mix of color and cream. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh dear. Well, Rebecca, I know you'll get "the precious" wired. It's definately a labor of love. Might I remind you that I really had to resist the temptation to toss her across the room. I'm so glad I didn't now. I would love, love, love to see pics when she's done. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely love this lamp! Thanks for sharing and the tutorial also. This will definitely go on my to do (try) list!

    ReplyDelete
  14. your lamp turned out so great! i'm featuring you and this tutorial in a post this afternoon :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this! Awesome tutorial, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's gorgeous, Erika! I've wanted to make one of these but haven't yet - I love that you wrote down a tutorial! Thank you so much for sharing. I love it! :)

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is so gorgeous. I love the ruffled bowl on the bottom. My little girl has a teacup chandelier so this would be the perfect LAMP.

    Thanks for entering the DIY Club.

    cheri

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so cute and would be so sweet next to a little girls bed. You could really do a lot with this as far as colors and trim. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very cute ~ love it ~ congrats on the Top 10! Great project

    ReplyDelete
  20. cute! very cute! I got a bit for Christmas, but it's been too cold to go outside and try it out.
    great job!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing! This is so adorable. I'm a new follower from Remodelaholic. I'd be honored if you followed me back.
    Thanks for the great tutorial.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this! I've had an anthro knock-off lamp like this on my to-do list for awhile now. I'm feeling inspired to get on it though now that I'm having massive lamp envy. Fantastic job! And I agree, yours is better than the one from Anthropology. Thanks for sharing at VR.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have been so wanting to make a sweet lamp like this and I have tons of dishes I just need to get the lamp kit. Yours turned out so wonderful!!

    Visiting from VR

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great job and GREAT tutorial! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am in LOVE with this- making one this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anyone have any ideas as to how to get the cute tea cup "balancing" on the top like the Antrho version? Such a small detail, but one worth attempting, I think. Love to hear some crafty ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Instead of gluing everything together you can drill the holes and use a THREADED STEEL PIPE. 1/8" IP threaded pipe, the length of the lamp base, i.e. the lamp is 24" tall - use a 25" pipe. Put rubber washers between the porcelain pieces. Once completed you can slide the wire through the pipe.

    As for the finial top, just epoxy a small cup to a regular finial.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Just made this lamp and LOVE IT! Awesome direction.
    My only problem is this...how do I put on a shade
    Without a harp? Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there. You can purchase lamp shades that will attach directly to the light bulb socket...so not harp necessary. I hope this helps. Thanks for stopping by the place.

      Delete

I love it when people leave comments, but please keep your spam to yourself. Spam scares me.