Wednesday, August 28, 2013

W.O.W Wednesday- Create perfect spaces with "inspiration boards"...and save on gas at the same time.

I am notorious for purchasing things and taking them back.  I've always been a "fly by the seat on your pants" type person, but I'm learning that when it comes to decorating sometimes having a plan is just plain better.  That doesn't mean you can't be flexible or spontaneous, but a little forethought in planning out a space is usually a good thing.

So, my word of wisdom for today is...use an inspiration board.

I've mentioned them before, but I really like the photo editing website Picmonkey.  I could spend hours playing around with my pictures and they have a great, new "collage" tool that is perfect for making inspiration boards.

I am hopeful that this little gem will significantly cut down on my returns and in turn will significantly improve the gas budget.

I have been struggling with decorating my master bedroom.  I have gone through countless throw pillows, several quilts and comforters and dozens of lamps and shades in various configurations.  I still haven't gotten it right.  

Well, all that is about to change...hopefully.  I used the Picmonkey collage tool to pick out all of the components for my "ideal" bedroom.  Even if I can't afford, or can't find the exact item, it still gives me a great starting off point before I head out shopping.

I've been ogling these frayed edge sheets from West Elm.  I love the look of classic white sheets.  They are so versatile and so fresh and bright.
I also found these beautiful geometric/tribal-esque accent pillows at West Elm that would be perfect in the space.


My birthday is coming up next week and I'm hoping Studs might let me get a new bed.  Ideally I'd love a bed like this reclaimed wood one.  My room needs some warmth and this bed would definitely do the trick.

I've already got a set of gold floor lamps similar to one below

And of course my blue nightstands

And here's how everything looks together.
Seeing everything together helps me visualize how it will all play together and look in the actual space.  I love how all of colors and patterns compliment each other, but as much as I love my royal blue nightstands, I may end up having paint them another color.  What do you think?  A little too bright?  Okay?  What color should I paint them instead?

So, the moral of today's post is...

do yourself a favor and save yourself time and gas money by creating an inspiration board before you set out on a shopping journey.  There is nothing more frustrating than spending hours at the store and not finding anything, or spending hours at the store only to have to return everything.  With an inspiration board you can plan out exactly what you want/need and can set out shopping with a plan in hand.










No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people leave comments, but please keep your spam to yourself. Spam scares me.