Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Verdict Is In.

I am disappointed to report that my dream of taking a bubbly bath in a footed tub will have to wait.
Studly is all for a bathroom redo...he doesn't have much choice with death {in the form of black mold} staring him in the face. 
But, after a great deal of research, he and I both realized that purchasing a vintage claw foot tub, though totally rad, was not really that cost effective. 
There are {diy kits} available for refinishing old, crusty bathtubs, but the reviews I read were not that promising.  So, I decided that having the tub professionally refinished was the safer way to go.  I called one bathtub refinishing place and was quoted almost $700.  Adding in $100 for the tub itself, plus another $100-$200 for the hardware I was looking at spending close to one grand{you can buy a brand new claw foot tub for almost that.}

That's when I knew that my dream of soaking in a "clawed basin of utter delight" was just not going to happen...except for in my dreams. 
I was a little depressed at first, but I would much rather salvage the "perfectly fine-but totally clawless" bathtub we already have and spend the money on retiling the shower, buying a new vanity and putting in new floors.  It's not going to be the bathroom of my dreams, but it will look nice...much better the "petrie dish" I have now.
I'll keep you posted on the progress.  Here are few items that are being considered for the renovation.

A modern vanity to satisfy Studly's taste
GODMORGON/ODENSVIK Sink cabinet with 4 drawers IKEA


Porcelain tile that looks like wood planks {I am totally in love with this.  Almost makes me okay with taking a bath in "regular" tub...almost.}

A rustic barn door {to separate the bedroom from the bathroom, cause up until now bathing/showering has been an adventure in exhibitionism.} to satisfy my traditional/farmhouse taste. 

There's one other architectural element I am hoping to add, but I'm gonna wait to tell you about it...just in case Studly shoots it down- just kidding, but kinda not.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people leave comments, but please keep your spam to yourself. Spam scares me.