Thursday, February 2, 2012

Living Room: Update...and my latest fave.

I'm not totally ready for a full reveal of my living room just yet. I only have one shelf painted, which I finally finished yesterday. Those things are beasts...so many nooks and crannies. BLECH! I'm hoping to start on the second one today, or at least some time this weekend...once the muscle's in my forearm and shoulder quit spasming. Anyway, here's where I'm at as of today.






In the meantime, I started working on another little project...you know, just to break the monotony of bookshelf painting. You should have caught a little glimpse of it in the pictures. I'll give you a hint: it's brown and white and walked all over. That's right, my faux cowhide rug.


I've been wanting to try this project for awhile, but just haven't gotten around to it.



I understand that they are a bit of an acquired taste...these cowhide rugs. I didn't always love them either, but recently I have had a change of heart. I'm slightly obssesed with them now. I find myself daydreaming about going to the textile department of IKEA just so I can sit and stroke their velvety softness. I'd love to bring one home with me, but I'm having a hard time stomaching the $200 price tag for something that my kiddies would probably destroy within 24 hours. So, I did what any thrifty gal would...I came up with both a BUDGET and KID friendly version. You animal lovers will like this option too.



I'm not going to post a full tutorial just yet, but don't worry. It's coming. Here are some pics of two different versions I made. One from canvas, and one from some vinyl-ey/pleathery stuff.


canvas dropcloth version





faux leather/pleather/vinyl version



I wasn't sure if the paint would adhere to the vinyl, but it's actually held up quite well so far. We walk on it daily, and the kids have even played Just Dance on it. None of the paint has rubbed off yet. {The paint, however, did stay tacky for several days afterwards, but whatevs.}


If haven't succeeded in convincing you of the awesomeness that is {animal hide rugs}, take a look at some of these inspiration pics and "chew" on em for a while {Get it? "Chew" on em, like a cow "chewing" on it's cud. Nevermind!}







I love how these otherwise ordinary-ish rooms become extraordinarily fabulous just by adding a bit of animal print. These rugs are miracle workers I tell ya. Are you convinced now? I knew you would be. All righty then, get out there and get yourself one of these beauties. Happy hunting! {and by hunting I mean, go to the store and buy one or make one of your own...don't literally go out and "hunt" your own rug, please!!!}.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people leave comments, but please keep your spam to yourself. Spam scares me.