Monday, February 6, 2012

Going Granola

When I started my blog a year and a half ago I was completely obsessed with painting stuff...anything I could get my hands on: funiture, front doors, even kids if they got in the way. It seems as though, back then, it was all about finding whatever you could and painting it some fantastically bright color. Don't get me wrong, I still love spray paint...the brighter the better in my book {go big or go home right?}. I just used some a few days ago, in fact, but I find myself evolving into a new phase of life. I'm not sure what you would call it...my granola/au naturale phase perhaps. I haven't totally given up on spray paint. As I said, I just painted something the other day, but I guess I'm realizing that there is some truth to the adage "all things in moderation". Which brings me back to the point of this post...



I've always loved the aesthetic of natural wood and fibers and the mentality of bringing the outdoors in. And I'm beginning to love it more as I see more and more earthy influences emerge in interior decorating.



I'm not sure if it's just a passing fad, or if I have finally found my style niche. It may be a little bit of both I suppose. I still like my occasional spray painted piece of furniture...nothing can really stand up to a turquoise {insert furniture item of choice} if you ask me. But pairing said item with natual elements is a total win win situation...the perfect balance.



Here are some inspiration pics of my current favorite, au naturale pieces.





I love this vignette...a reclaimed wood mirror and rustic, slatted table. I have to admit, part of me is aching to grab that candle holder and give a good dowsing of spray paint...preferably of the turquoise kind. But, note how the beauty and character of both the table and mirror would be lost if it were covered up with paint.




I love this little reclaimed wood bench. It would be the perfect accent to a dining table, or living room. I think this little guy would work perfectly as an end table at my house.



I love the earthiness of this table and bench. I love all of the variation in the wood.



I really love these mango wood vases. Love at first sight. Available at West Elm in case you were wondering.



Okay, I am absolutely in love with this tree stump side table. I love, love, love it. I know for a fact they are on sale right now at West Elm and I have been scouring the kiddies piggie banks, the couch cushions and all the pants pockets for stray dollar bills so I can start my stump fund.








2 comments:

  1. I just found you and have loved browsing your tutorials! I'm a cheapskate too and have spent my 40 yrs of marriage trying to duplicate the stuff I can't afford (or don't want to overpay for!)
    Look forward to following you...hope you'll visit my site and check out MY tutorials too!
    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lorraine. Well, welcome and thanks for stopping by. I will most definitely hop on over to your place and visit for awhile. Us thrifty gotta stick together, right? :)

      Delete

I love it when people leave comments, but please keep your spam to yourself. Spam scares me.