Thursday, June 9, 2011

Thrifty Thursday Throwdown {purple dresser edition}

Howdy peeps. Long time, no post.

Things have been a little crazy around the homestead...end of the year programs and assemblies, piano and dance recitals, and unhealthy amounts of Burn Notice watching {Studly and I are totally addicted and trying to get through four seasons of back episodes so we can start season five all caught up} Yes, I totally have my priorities in check. But enough about me.




Fortunately I was able to find a little time in between episodes to give this sweet piece of wooden goodness a fabulous make-over. I found her at the thrift store a week or two ago. I didn't know I needed a new dresser til I saw her, basking in the glow of fluorescent lighting above. It was as if the Gods of artificial light were directing me to her...and it was love at first sight.






I call her Lavendar...for obvious reasons.




She will be taking up residence in the girls' bedroom. I'm in the middle of a little revamp currently. I'll be sure to show you the end result, but I still have a couple of other projects to complete first.

I decided to implement my dry brush technique again. I wanted the dresser to have a deliciously distressed appearance. I think it worked. Because I wanted the natural wood to show through, I didn't sand the dresser as much as I normally would. So, to keep the paint from chipping or rubbing off, I sealed it with a brush on polycrylic.






Mmmm, yummy.





Some of the wood was still in decent condition and I just didn't have it in me to cover it all up with paint. So, I opted to keep the top of the dresser au naturale. I sanded her down and stained her with walnut stain, then sealed the top with a rub on wax. This was my first experience using wax and I was really pleased with the end result. The wood ended up uniform and smooth and really beautiful actually. I think wax might be a new addition to my "favorites" list.








My dry brush technique takes literally minutes and I already had purple paint on hand. So, all I ended up spending on this project {besides the $65 for the dresser} was $6 for a container of wax. Quick, cheap and easy, or what I like to call a {diy triple threat}.
















8 comments:

  1. The dresser is lovely! I am thinking of doing a dry brush technique on my next dresser project. Can't wait to see if it looks as good as yours does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is beautiful...I love dry brushing. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nice! I have never tried dry brushing but I really love the look it gives. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute dresser but more importatnly--We have been BURN NOTICE fanatics since it started--love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is great! love you blog!.. {new follower} colorfulscrapbooker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job. Drybrushing is one of my favorite techniques. Love the knobs too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this dresser, you did a fantastic job on it! I love your blog, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. it looks perfect i love that rustic look xx

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people leave comments, but please keep your spam to yourself. Spam scares me.