Monday, July 23, 2012

End table revamp...finally.

Yikes!  I can't believe how fast the summer is flying by.  School starts next month and it's kind of freaking me out.  I've spent that last week or so keeping busy trying to get my preschool put together, and finishing up all of my half-finished projects and checking things off the to-do list before things get crazy.

One of those projects was my master bedroom end tables...these babies don't look half bad in the picture, but the tops were starting to wear {and not in a cool, rustic way}. They were scuffed and stained and...well, quite simply they were hideous, joy-bumming nastiness.  Am I making my distaste for them clear?
They have been in desperate need of a full on extreme make-over for some time, but I've always seemed to have other "more important" projects to attend to.

Then I was contacted by DecoArt and asked if wouldn't mind trying out some of their products.  I was more than happy to oblige as I love their products anyway.  So, I decided to test out their line of enamel paints, since, you know, I had two disasters flanking my bed, just begging for a little sumthin' sumthin'.

I also decided try out their weathered wood product...just cause I liked the sound of it.  It's purpose is to make paint look old and crackly and delicious.


Here's what I ended up with.  I have to say, I don't mind how they turned out.



And even better, Studly likes the way they turned out...now that's sayin' something.

I have to say, I was also very, pleasantly surprised how well I liked the paint.  It went on ultra smooth and dried nice and hard.  I guess the only complaint I would have is the size.  The paint doesn't come in quart or gallon size.  BUT, that said, the smaller size made it much easier to mix paint colors to get the desired hue I was looking for.  So, I guess, depending on how you look at it the size can be either good or bad.  And the weathered wood...well all you do is slap the stuff on and paint over it once it's dried.  Doesn't get much easier than that, does it?

It's ironic how checking a project off the to-do list inevitably results in more projects to do.  Now that I've started paying a little attention to the master bedroom by redoing the end tables, I want to make some cool artwork for over the bed and change out the light, find an overstuffed chair for the corner, build a cute little wooden bench for the foot of the bed and...

I guess there is no such thing as a completed to-do list, because there will always be something that needs fixin' or tending to...whether it be jobs I create myself, or jobs that fall right out of the sky.  Did you happen to hear about my "unintentional skylight"?  'Nuff said.


 
















1 comment:

  1. I love this project! I've always liked crackle paint, but didn't like the look of a whole table or something so this idea is awesome!

    You've already done it, so its not much help now but I've seen things where you can also use elmer's glue for the cracking agent. Just thought it was a fun & cheap alternative ha.

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people leave comments, but please keep your spam to yourself. Spam scares me.