Monday, March 14, 2011

Security Scam- Beware

I know, I know, I never posted my British Invasion bedroom.

I will spare you the excuses, but I have to tell you that the little virus my dear Phyllis contracted was not a little virus at all.

Studly spent the bulk of yesterday trying to fix the poor thing. Finally around 1:00 a.m. he deemed her cured. I guess we will find out for sure today.

I only share this with you to warn you. The virus {called Smart Internet Protection} will pop up onto the computer as a warning, saying that the computer has been infected and that a security scan needs to be performed to protect it. Thankfully, I didn't click on anything and "x"ed out of the pop up and continued on with what I was doing. I thought I had avoided any problems.

However, everytime I got onto the computer after that to work, I would see the {smart security icon} on my task bar. I didn't notice anything significant, mainly that my internet accessability was really sporadic, but I attributed that to my crappy internet service and blew it off. I have since learned that this trojan, disguised as a security device was actually the culprit. And...after researching it further, Studly learned that even if you don't run the security scan it can still gather all sorts of personal data...which really freaked me out {I had my purse and identity stolen last year. I had charges on several different credit cards, and two separate checking accounts hacked into. It was the biggest pain and violation of personal space I've ever experienced}.



My biggest concern at this point is that I am a huge interent shopper and few credit card numbers on file. I am just going to have to keep a close eye on things for the next little bit and pray that nothing got hacked into.



The moral of this story, if this stupid trojan pops up on your screen, don't assume that by not clicking on it the problem is avoided. And just be aware, it. If you do encounter it remove it ASAP...there are step by step instructions you can use online.



Have a great, un-trojany, day.



P.S. I will be posting pics of the room reveal a little later, so long as Phyllis cooperates.

P.P.S. I am sorry not to have posted pics of the virus, but I was nervous that I might accidentally catch it again. It pulls up a white window with a red bar along the top that says {Smart Internet Protection}. It will most likely have a little button on it that reads "remove all"...DON'T DO IT THOUGH. You will know you definately have it if you see a red, shield icon on your task bar, that wasn't there before.

2 comments:

  1. I got the same thing two weeks ago on explorer and tried desperately to delete it but it kept reappearing. I'll have to see if I can find those step-by-step instructions. For now, I'm using Mozilla and all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people leave comments, but please keep your spam to yourself. Spam scares me.