Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Pre-Teen Bedroom Revamp-It's in the works

Okay, so on to my next pre-teen son's bedroom revamp.

Here's what it currently looks like. It's a little lacking and disorganized, especially since moving the little guy out and into the {his&her} bedroom .

Pretty sad, huh?...just like the dark side.

But before I go into it, let me take you on a little journey back to the year 1987. I was in the sixth grade and had the raddest {and rattiest} bangs. I was in Mrs. Wright's class and she had just assigned each student a different country for an upcoming oral report. I had been assigned England.


Needless to say, I was a little disappointed cause England is pretty much America, except with slightly more proper grammer, right? {consequently when I hear a true Brit speak now, it melts me like butta}.

I never woulda thunk that a 6th grade report would result in a lifelong fascination with the place. My life's dream is to someday visit the {mother country} and see all of the sites: Big Ben, Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Abbey Road... And, if time allows, perhaps I'll don a period gown and run through the purple heath pretending to be Elizabeth Bennett...perhaps.

Then, afterwards, I will probably do a little family history work and see if I can't track down the graves of some deceased ancestors...and hopefully trace my line back to nobility.

After that I will treat myself to some authentic, English fish and chips, wrapped in newspaper of course. And please don't forget the vinegar. I think my taste for vinegar is an English trait passed down genetically...just like my nose.

Finally, the trip will conclude with an unexpected run in with Chris Martin {of Coldplay fame}. We will hit it of instantly. And after a few minutes of chatting he will invite me and Studly to a delicious {vegan} dinner with him and Gwynnie...and we will become fast friends...and...

Uh-hum, my apologies. Sometimes when I start thinking about it my imagination takes over. Back to the topic at pre-teens bedroom.

Not that I'm trying to force my interests on him or anything, but when I pitched the idea of a British Invasion themed room to him I made sure to talk it up real big. Plus when I told him we could incorporate some Beatles into the space he was sold. Yay!!! I don't know who's more excited, him or me? But it's going to be awesome!!!

Here are some ideas we've talked about as well as some fun inspiration pictures.

*Painting the bunk beds as to emulate the red double decker buses you see all over London. I shall call it...a double decker bed.

*The Union Jack flag. Did any of you happen to see Miss Mustard Seed's union jack dresser. I {heart} that lady so much. I really wanted to incorporate the British flag somehow into the room, but wanted to make it more functional and interesting than displaying the actual flag. Her project was super inspiring.

*A Rock & Roll hall of fame...complete with all of my...I mean...the boy's, favorite British musicians: The Beatles, Coldplay, Muse, Morrisey, The Clash...

*Abby Road wall. The boy and I both love the Beatles. The idea is to paint only the silhouette's of John, Paul, George and Ringo crossing Abby Road. Now if I can just track down an overhead projector.

*An iconic red telephone booth. I have a couple of ideas rattling around the old noggin inspired by ths phonebooth. If I can figure out a way to translate them to real life it will be freaking AWESOME. Now if I could just convince Studly of the awesomeness.

And a few random pics just for inspiration's sake.

Picture from

Picture from

Check out this awesome 10 x 3 foot decal of the london bridge.I'm still not sure which ideas I will incorporate into the space yet, but I can hardly wait to get started.

And, as always, this project will be governed by a budget. Maybe I should leave that up to you guys. How much do you think I can complete this project for?

I guess we will see soon enough. Til then, seeya later. Or shall I say...pip, pip Cheerio?


  1. How exciting, I can't wait to see how the room comes out. I love the color scheme. I am sure Ms Wright would be delighted to know!

  2. I think the room ideas are great. I am leaning that way for my sons room too. I loooved the Union Jack dresser from Miss Mustard seed. And if you're interested you can check out this painted canvas art I did of the Beatles Abbey Road

  3. Ive always loved how you've done your kids rooms!! And kinda sad to see star wars go! Thats a memory of Carter FOR SUREEEEE

  4. @ Shauna. Helllo stanger.
    I agree 100 percent. I am very sad to see the Star Wars go to. It has sort of been the boys trademark since he was born. I know deep down he still loves all things Star Wars, but I guess he just doesn't want everyone else to know it now. Gah, such a teenager.

  5. I thought of you when I saw that dresser on MMS's site! Looking forward to the pictures of this redo!


    Saturday's, Sunday's and Holidays are the best times to visit. Thanks for being my friend who understands why this site may entertain. I'll take you to the mother ship. It's around $500 roundtrip. For serious, Matilda.

    ps, please the girls "you're it" for me:)

    pps, I almost had to take my pink hoodie and reveal some sweet garment action the other day at TSA. That's why I called you.

  7. Love it! You could also look for vintage post cards of London and frame them. Or an English pub sign...but hmmm, maybe the pub sign isn't a good idea for a young boy?!


I love it when people leave comments, but please keep your spam to yourself. Spam scares me.