Sunday, September 19, 2010

Kitchen Table...Finally

I've been on a quest to find a dining room table for months. And on every outing to the D.I. (local thrift store) I've always retured home empty handed. In my defense, I need an eight seater table. Apprantly they are hard to come by...even in Utah.

Then one day, on a whim, I decided to stop by the thrift store. I had already been there once that day and had no luck, but I went with my gut. And what do you know? There she was...gleaming in the celestial light of the fluorescent bulbs above. I was so happy I almost cried...almost.


I know she doesn't look like much...no scrolling or intricate carvings or interesting lines. But to me she was perfect.
I allowed myself the satisfaction of a subtle victory dance (think James Brown) and then proceeded to the cashier to purchase my treasure.

Initially I wasn't sure how I wanted to finish the beast. I thought about painting her, but I didn't want her competing with these little beauties.

Wild and bold...maybe just a titch.

I was concerned that a painted table might be a little too much, what with all the pattern and color going on with the chairs (I didn't want anyones eyes to start hemorrhaging when they walked in the kitchen). So I nixed that idea.

Then I considered sanding her down and restaining her, but deep down I knew I was way to lazy to take that kind of work on. So that idea too, was nixed.

Then it struck me...glaze. I love glaze. It's always come through for me in the past. I was a little skeptical at first.


I had never glazed over natural wood before. But I just went with it and ended up being pleasantly surprised at the outcome.


I really like the slat-ish top of the table and I love how the glaze just pools in all of the crevices. I also like that I was able to maintain the look of wood, without all of the sanding and staining. Now I just hope that she will stand up to the wear and tear of five uber active kiddies.


The dining area is still a work in progress as far as decorating goes. But now that I finally have table I can start working on that. Here she is in her new home.



I guess that the moral of the post today is...glaze is good, so don't be afraid to use it.


Don't forget to enter the Halloween Giveaway, if you haven't already. Go here for details.

Linking to:
The DIY Show Off

1 comment:

  1. It's so lovely and looks different, i guess the place is little bit small for this lovely kitchen, but this table is really outstanding, really i like it. Thanks.

    cheap kitchens

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people leave comments, but please keep your spam to yourself. Spam scares me.