Monday, February 11, 2013

{Magic} Marker Lampshade

My hand painted anthro knock off lamp shade didn't turn out horrible, but there was just something about it that I wasn't loving. 

So I conducted a little experiment.  When I went out and grabbed the supplies for the anthro lampshade, I also grabbed a couple packages of Crayola makers.

Initially, I was going to use the markers instead of craft paint to decorate the shade, but I was worried about how it would hold up especially if one of the kids somehow managed to get water on it.  The markers I purchased aren't washable, but I'm not sure how permament they are either.  I decided to throw caution to the wind, however, and went ahead and tried free handing a second lamp shade. 

And it turned out pretty awesome!!! 


The sign of a good lamp shade is it that it looks great with the light

turned off

and even better when the light's

turned on. 

I started by grabbing a handful of markers that I thought played well with each other and would fit the color scheme of the room they will be going in {some color scheme, eh?}


Honestly, I didn't make attention to what I was doing {busy watching the Grammy's} I just sort of let the markers do the talking.  Turns out,  it was just the right blend of funk and retro-vintage chic that I was going for.


The markers bleed just a little bit, which is actually pretty cool because it gives the shade a sort of "ikat-y" feel.
And the best part...the price.  Since I already had the shade on hand, all I was out was the $3 for the markers.  Can beat that!!!

I'm in the process of redoing my master bedroom.  I can't wait to see how they are going to look when it's complete.

In other news, the kiddos and I just finished their Valentine's boxes.  They turned out pretty cute, so I thought I'd share.

I got the idea off pinterest.

These cuties are made out of t.p. rolls,  an oatmeal canister, painter's tape, cardstock and spray paint.
 


If I don't check back in before Thursday...Happy Valentine's Day!  Hope you can spend it with those you love.  Studly, the kiddos and I always have chocolate fondue for dinner.  What better way to say "I love you" that with chocolate for dinner, right?




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people leave comments, but please keep your spam to yourself. Spam scares me.