Saturday, June 1, 2013

Pouf!

A few posts ago I mentioned seeing some floor mats that I thought would make awesome floor poufs. 

 Well, when I stopped back in Target recently I noticed that said mats were on clearance so I grabbed a few.

I decided I would use the rugs to make a couple of poufs for the deck.  Ever since I found this little gem at Ikea for $60 
and since summer is only days away, I decided now would be a good time to spruce up the patio and create a welcoming outdoor living space.

The floor poufs will add some extra seating if needed, but will also serve as tables for placing unused magazines or resting drinks on.  They will also work well as foot rests.  

I actually referred to my original floor pouf post for making this pouf.  
I ended up purchasing runners instead of the 2x3 mats, which meant I only needed two rugs to complete this project.  If you were to use 2x3 mats, you would need to use four of them.
Since the Target rugs were not quite as wide as the Ikea rugs I used the first time, I had to readjust my measurements.  For the Target mats, I ended up cutting two 19 1/2 in. x 19 1/2 in. pieces and four 19 1/2 in. x 10 1/2 in. pieces.  After that I followed the step by step instructions I outlined in the post.  
Please note that if you use a floor mat/rug for this project {any durable upholstery fabric or canvas would work great too} you will have to address the fraying issue on the cut ends of the rug.  If you have access to a surger, I would recommend surging all of the ends.  If you don't have access to a surger you can do what I did, which was zig-zag stitch my pieces together right along the edge, then zig-zag stitch again leaving about a 1/4 in. seam allowance.  Then I straight stitched over the zig-zag stitch just to reinforct it.  I did this because the weave on these floor mats is so loose that if a child jumps on them {like mine did} or adults use them as seating, the seam can gets loose and will eventually fray to the point of separation.

Okay, on to the good part...the reveal!
I love these poufs!!!  I loved my first poufs too, but these I love, love because they are so bright and fun.  They are going to look great out on the deck.

I can't wait to get the spaced all spruced up and ready for summer entertaining.  I'm so ready for the sun...and some leisurely fun!!!

Are you all just as ready for summer as I am?  We still have a week left of school, but honestly, I checked out weeks ago.










4 comments:

  1. I was at Target around the beginning of June, saw these floor runners, and thought of you! But where I was they were reduced to $4.50! I bought one (a blue & green one to use as a bathmat) but seriously considered buying more to make a pouf. Unfortunately we were on vacation and there wasn't room in the suitcase (darn airline weight restrictions!)

    I was also worried my sewing machine wouldn't be able to handle such heavy material. Did you do anything special regarding that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I found some bean bag filler at K Mart for $12 a bag. I took about a bag and half to fill my pouf up nice and full.

      Delete

I love it when people leave comments, but please keep your spam to yourself. Spam scares me.